Followers

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Chicken Pad Thai ...well sort of...???

Mmm...there is nothing better than Chicken Pad Thai...especially next day left overs. I don't know what it is...but the taste of the cool rice noodles on your lips and the slightly sweet sauce on your tongue...YUM! Drooling yet? Well I was when I saw a post about a Chicken Pad Thai dish that was family friendly (check it out at laurenslatest.com). I LOVE this blog and the recipes so I thought I would recreate this dish at home.  I quickly realized I was NOT prepared for this meal. First, the recipe called for rice noodles...RICE NOODLES? Who has RICE NOODLES in their pantry??? Well I don't...so I used whole wheat spaghetti instead (clearly they are the same...HA)! Next item that was NOT in my pantry, hoisin sauce...nope didn't have that either! At this point I was thinking to myself "I need to diversify my shopping list a little to keep up with these fancy bloggers", but this meal said FAMILY FRIENDLY!! What Mom is going to have these items randomly in their pantry?!?!? Last was bean sprouts...OK that was my final fail, no bean sprouts. Determined, not discouraged, I was going to make this work...so here we go!  I hope you enjoy it, it's not Pad Thai,but it satisfied my craving by incorporating some of the same flavors and ingredients AND I didn't have to make a trip to the grocery store.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any leftovers, my husband and I devoured the whole dish! Oops!

Ingredients

4 Tablespoons of soy sauce (go healthy and use low sodium)
2 Tablespoons of Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons of Sesame Oil (OK to be fair not to many people will have this either hanging out in their pantry, I get it.)
4 Tablespoons of Sugar
4 Cloves of minced Garlic
2 Tablespoons of Red wine Vinegar
pinch of Red pepper flakes
1/2 box of spaghetti
3 tablespoons of canola oil
1lb of boneless skinless chicken breast or tenderloins, cut into bite sized pieces
2 Large eggs
1 cup of sliced yellow onion
3/4 cup julienned carrot
3/4 cup julienned yellow pepper (whatever you have)
cilantro (oops didn't have this either, so I used 1/8 tsp of grated ginger root!), peanuts, lime wedges and green onion for garnish

Directions:
Get your water boiling for the spaghetti and cook those noodles up and drain!

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, garlic, sugar, red wine vinegar and red pepper flakes.  Microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute or until sugar dissolves, set aside.

In a large wok or skillet heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken and onions together until browned. Move to one side of the pan. Crack eggs into small bowl and beat with a fork. Pour into the empty side of the pan and scramble like crazy! Toss in carrots, pepper, cooked noodles and sauce until coated. You may need to add 1/4-1/2 cup of water to thin the sauce. Once warmed and mixed together serve with cilantro, lime wedges, peanuts and chopped green onion! DELISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment